Monday, September 8, 2014

Tips for Getting Through the Day


Some days are pretty easy.  By "easy" I mean that I am pretty motivated, I'm got a good night's sleep the night before so I am well-rested, and the children are being obedient and happy.  These days are might still involve lots of work, but it isn't hard to make myself get things done. Then there are the Other days, the days that aren't so easy, and this is most of life.  Sometimes I will walk into the kitchen and think, "I really don't want to wash these dishes," or do anything for that matter.  As a result of this, very human, response, I have little things that I do that either help me to stay motivated, or just give me energy throughout the day. Because we all know that even on the best days, raising children, keeping a home, working, taking care of others, or any of the above, is tiring. 

1.) Get a large glass of ice water and drink it. Cold water is the key here as it helps to wake you up.
2.) Every time that you feel anxious or stressed, stop, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and count to five.
3.) Make small prayers throughout the day. Such as, “Lord, make haste to help me.”
4.) Take a break. Send the kids outside to play, sit down with a cup of coffee, and read a book or say prayers.  Set the timer for 15-20 minutes so that you don’t end up staying there too long.
5.) Set a time for later in the day (such as once the kids are in bed) when you will intentionally stop to do something that you really enjoy doing.  Then, during the day when you are tempted to waste time, remind yourself that you are working towards your guilt-free reward later by working hard now.
6.) Listen to up-beat music when you are feeling especially tired.  Taking a few minutes to dance around with the kids will put everyone in a good mood.  I’m a big fan of Dean Martin, Michael Bublé, Queen, or Disney music for this one (as you can see, my taste is eclectic.)
7.) On the flip side, listen to classical music or Gregorian chant in the morning and/or the evening to begin and end your day on a peaceful note.
8.) Listen to audiobooks.  Now, if I attempt to listen to an audiobook while the kids are around it makes me cranky because they keep interrupting me. But, if I have to fold laundry after they are in bed, or iron shirts, or do dishes, if I listen to an audiobook that I enjoy, the unenjoyable task all of a sudden becomes rather relaxing.
9.) Take the time to eat, and eat well.  Don’t skip meals. Bites taken from your child’s cold leftovers does not a meal make. Take the time to sit and eat something healthy that will give you energy throughout the day.
10.) Don’t waste time.  It just makes you mad at yourself and cranky with those around you. Stay away from Facebook. Make good choices and you will be a happier person.

No comments:

Post a Comment