Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Self-Control


      I have lately realized that probably 90% of being a good homemaker is self-control.  This is both good news and bad news.  The good news is that self-control is something within my power to change and well, control.  It is my choice how much I exert or lack, but it is something that I handle at all times.  The bad news is that, it is something that I handle at all times. So, if I fail with self-control, there is no one to blame but myself.  I am not saying that there are not external forces or entities that can disrupt one’s day; they are called cranky children, friends that unexpectedly drop by, a million unexpected telephone calls, accidental spills, leaky faucets, broken toilets etc. But if we are honest with ourselves, these sorts of things do not mess up our days All That often. 

     When I think about my days that go really well, they are the ones where I got up before the children, said my prayers, and worked diligently throughout the day.  They are the days where I am kind and patient with the children, I exercise, I don’t eat a bunch of junk food, I don’t waste tons of time on the internet/watching a tv show/reading a book (or whatever). These are the days where I just do what needs to get done, whether or not I really want to.  Every single one of these areas is connected to self-control. We all know how happy we are when we use it, and how miserable we feel when we let it pass us by. 

   I sometimes used to say (usually in connection with food, okay, always in connection with food) that I had no self-control.  One day I realized that that was the dumbest thing that I could say, what, am I two years old? When someone says, “I have no self-control” what they are really saying is, “I have absolutely no desire to even attempt to stop myself from doing what I want to do and therefore I will pretend like I have no self-control.” Of course I will not have any self-control if I make no effort to actually have self-control.  If I would just exert a little willpower than, wah-law!, Self-Control. Is it easy? Of course not! But, it is necessary.

     Self-control is a virtue that we must strive to attain and that we must constantly work on improving. As we improve our self-control, we will improve absolutely every other area of our lives.  Most importantly, self-control is a virtue that I want to teach to my children and in order to really do so, I need to make certain that I lead by example and exert it myself.


“Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society.”
Benjamin Franklin

“I will be calm. I will be mistress of myself.”
Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility

“Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.”
Thucydides, The History of the Peloponnesian War

“I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself.”
Robert E. Lee

“I tell you what when I see chocolate chip cookies I can’t just eat one. I’ve got to eat a dozen. I don’t have any self control. Well, come on! You’re just talking yourself right into the pit! You do have self control, and you need to start looking at those cookies and saying, “If I want you I’ll eat you, and if I don’t I won’t!” Come on! Talk to that plateful of food! I am born again and baptized in the Holy Ghost! I have the power of the universe on the inside of me, and if I do not want to eat you I will not eat you! I mean how do you expect to defeat the devil if you can’t even defeat a chocolate chip cookie!?!?”
Joyce Meyer

“Distinguish between real needs and artificial wants and control the latter.”
Mahatma Gandhi, To Students

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.









  




1 comment:

  1. So true. I'm forcing myself to change my approach to dishes! I used to say, "I can't possibly do dishes tonight...I'll do them tomorrow." Well, another moment of self-control. Dishes are a lot easier to clean if you do them right away. And now I don't get as backed up in the kitchen in a whole, "I can't cook anything until I clean the kitchen" cycle.

    ReplyDelete