Tuesday, January 22, 2013

“Make the lives of others more pleasant.”



For as long as you are convinced that others should always live as if they depended on you, and for as long as you delay the decision to serve (to hide yourself and disappear from view), your dealings with your brothers, colleagues and friends will be a constant source of disappointment, ill-humour and pride. (Furrow, 712)

When you find it difficult to do a favor or a service for someone, remember that he or she is a child of God, and that the Lord has asked us to love one another. Furthermore, go deeper into that evangelical precept every day; do not remain on the surface. Draw the right conclusions from it -- it is quite easy to do so. Then adapt your conduct, on every occasion, to those requirements. (Furrow, 727)

May you know how to put yourself out cheerfully, discreetly and generously each day, serving others and making their lives more pleasant. To act in this way is to practice the true charity of Jesus Christ. (The Forge, 150)

If we let Christ reign in our soul, we will not become authoritarian. Rather we will serve everyone. How I like that word: service! To serve my king and, through him, all those who have been redeemed by his blood. I really wish we Christians knew how to serve, for only by serving can we know and love Christ and make him known and loved.

And how will we show him to souls? By our example. Through our voluntary service of Jesus Christ, we should be witnesses to him in all our activities, for he is the Lord of our entire lives, the only and ultimate reason for our existence. Then, once we have given this witness of service, we will be able to give instruction by our word. That was how Christ acted. “He began to do and to teach” [1]; he first taught by his action, and then by his divine preaching. (Christ is passing by, 182) 

                                                            (Opus Dei daily message from January 18, 2013)


    When I first read this I felt that it was speaking to me as a homemaker.  The majority of my work is centered upon serving others.  Yet, it is very easy to often forget that fact.  As I go about my daily life, doing the tasks that need to be accomplished, I need to think of those whom I am doing the things for.  As I clean that dreaded toilet, it isn’t just another job that Has to get done.  Rather, I need to remember that I am cleaning it for my husband, for my children, for any person that comes into my home.  Within all of our daily tasks and all of the problems that arise, it is easy to forget that we are serving others.  But we need to remember that we iron those shirts for them, and rather than getting frustrated that we have more shirts to iron, iron them joyfully and well, for we are ironing in service of someone we love. 

     It is important to look outside of ourselves.  Instead of thinking about how much we hate to do something, think about the joy that someone else feels at seeing the thing done.  Early each evening, before Patrick gets home, I try to make everything nice and cozy.  I clean up any mess, light a nice smelly candle, turn on some music, and make dinner so that when he walks into the house after a long day at work, it is peaceful and comfortable.  I want him to always be happy to be home and to feel a sense of relief when he walks in the door.  When I think about my tasks this way, then I am much more joyful about cleaning up that mess or making that dinner because by doing so, I am making life more pleasant for my husband. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment