Monday, November 26, 2012

We Are Our Choices



Yesterday in Mass our priest, as usual, gave a Wonderful homily. I was, unfortunately, not able to hear all of it as I had to leave with a noisy toddler, (one of the joys of parenting) but the main thing that I heard that really stuck with me was this--of course there was a lot more too it but I am not great about summarizing things. He was talking about the Kingdom of God and how it is not of this earth and he said that in order to belong to that kingdom, we need to choose Truth.  The Truth that we choose cannot be our truth, or what we want to be truth, or what others say truth should be, but rather, it Must be God’s Truth.  He also said that when we choose something else; when we choose not to say our prayers because we are too tired; or not to something that we have said we will do because it doesn’t sound like fun; when we choose not to follow His Truth, then we are choosing not to belong to the Kingdom of God.   

After Mass, when I was discussing the homily with Patrick, he told me about this quote from Peter Kreeft: “Here is one of the truest and most terrifying sentences I have ever read (from William Law’s Serious Call): ‘If you will look into your own heart in complete honesty, you must admit that there is one and only one reason why you are not a saint: you do not wholly want to be.’ That insight is terrifying because it is an indictment. But it is also thrillingly hopeful because it is an offer, an open door. Each of us can become a saint. We really can. What holds us back? Fear of paying the price.”  When taken together (the homily and the quote) it made me think about how many poor choices I tend to make and how when I make those choices I am choosing Not to follow God’s Truth and Not to be a saint.  A friend of our family once told us, and it became a sort of mantra in our home growing up, “We are not our Feelings, we are our Choices.”

Then, this morning while saying morning prayers I was reading 2 Thessalonians 3:10b-13, the verses that begin, “Anyone who would not work should not eat,” which is a verse that I have always known.  But I was especially struck by verse 13, “You must Never grow weary of doing what is right.” 

I began to think about all of these things in connection with homemaking.  It is extremely easy to become weary with my tasks in the home.  Lately, I have felt very weary almost all of the time.  But, this is the job that God has given to me, this is my task.  His Truth teaches that this is what I am doing, and it is important, therefore, I need to Choose to continue to do it, no matter how I feel.  We often make the excuse, “Well, I am only human” or “I’m not a Saint” as if that is okay.  We expect less of ourselves rather than more. We need to choose to be more, to choose to obey God and His Truth, not matter how difficult to the task.  We must choose to be Saints. 

“Father, may everything we do begin with your inspiration and continue with your saving help. Let our work always find its origin in you and through you reach completion. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.” (From the Liturgy of the Hours, today’s ending to the Morning Prayer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment